Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Create a Little Whimsy Through Stenciling

Hi Guys,

I don't profess to be a great artist or even a great photographer, but I do like to show my artistic side through needle crafts and stenciling. I think I stenciled every room in our old house. The kitchen had geese stenciled around the trim on the cabinets, the dining room had a flower design stenciled above the chair rail, and the outside doors had very elaborate flowers stenciled on them to greet guests. I've toned down my stenciling quite a bit in this house.

In answer to a viewer's question, you can use stencils, or rub on stencils from the craft store, to create a specific theme in a room. A friend of mine loves dragonflies, so my son and I stenciled dragonflies all over her bathroom walls. We then found a dragonfly shower curtain with dragonfly hooks. It was lovely.

If you want a specific theme for a child's room, you can find all kinds of stencils. You can stencil their name, animals, numbers, letters, flowers, you name it and there is a stencil for it.

Stenciling is an inexpensive, fun activity that can really bring alive a painted room (and when you're tired of it, just paint over it). What have you got to lose? I've included some of the stencils I've done in my home.

That's my tip for today.

b

1 comment: