Friday, September 10, 2010

Personalize Your Home Part II

Hi Guys,

I know we have already talked about how to display collectables, but did you know that your collectables can tell people a lot about you?

My mother was a great collector. After a trip to Germany, she fell in love with Hummel figurines. She brought several home with her and kept adding to her collection whenever she would visit a store that sold them or received Hummel catalogues. Friends and family members always knew what to get her for her birthday or for Christmas. Needless to say, she ended up with nearly 50 Hummels. When she passed away, I ended up with her collection. I was able to complete some of the series she had started which added several more. Because the collection was so large, we purchased a corner curio cabinet in which to display them. I have to admit that I have never been a lover of Hummel figurines, but my mother was, and I loved my mother, so they are prominently displayed in our family room. It makes me feel like I'm still connected to her.

My grandfather was born in Norway and immigrated to the United States at the turn of the century. We knew he had brothers and sisters still living in Norway so in 1972 we got in touch with them and my mom, grandmother, and I went to Norway to visit them.  Since then they have been over here to visit us and more of my family members have been to Norway. When we were there I fell in love with the beautiful Norwegian pewter and I started collecting it. I would receive a piece every Christmas or for my birthday. I also collected hand painted Norwegian plates and boxes. These are very special to me, and I have displayed some of my favorite pieces in the living room and dining room.

I have displayed some of my favorite childhood dolls in our bedroom. I can remember when I received each doll and from whom. They hold a special place in my heart.

Now when people come to visit, they see the Hummels and know that I or someone in my family has traveled to Germany. They see the pewter and hand painted plates and boxes and know that I love Norwegian things, so I must have some connection to Norway. They can also tell that dolls played an important role in my childhood.

Let your collections reflect who you are.

That's my tip for today.

b

No comments:

Post a Comment