Friday, September 17, 2010

Eclectic Decorating

Hi Guys,

The other day one of my best friends called me the queen of eclectic decorating. I do love all styles of furniture and use a lot of different styles in my home. Last year when we remodeled our kitchen, we put in granite counter tops, a clear glass subway tiled backsplash, and all new stainless steel appliances. Putting the ultra modern glass tiles in an old fashioned pattern bridged the gap between old and new. We also kept our pickled maple cabinets, which were popular in the 80's and 90's, because I still love them. Everything works perfectly together and gives the kitchen a very pleasing, eclectic look.

Another example of my eclecticism is our kitchen dining table and chairs. The chrome and glass table was actually purchased in 1989, but looks like we bought it yesterday. We bought some clear, lucite chairs last year at Ikea that match the table perfectly, giving the eating area an extremely modern look.

Our family room is connected to the kitchen and eating area. I have decorated it in a very traditional style. The sofa and chairs are leather ( mainly because I was tired of cleaning dog hair off of fabric furniture). The coffee table is my grandmother's antique cedar chest. The fireplace is original to the house, so it gives the room the flavor of contemporary 1968. The giant 40" TV sits in the corner of the room on an ultra contemporary black glass and wood TV stand. I have incorporated four different styles in one little room.

The deck, which is right outside the family room and very visible from the two rooms, is decorated in old fashioned natural colored wicker furniture--still another style.

Now, I can imagine what is going through your mind--how do all these styles relate? Well, I've included some pictures so you can see just how well different styles work together. You don't have to be all matchy, matchy to make a room beautiful and comfortable. In fact, the eclectic look is much more interesting than having everything match.


That's my tip for today.

b

No comments:

Post a Comment