Friday, October 22, 2010

Decorating an Occasional Table

Decorated Table,  Zippy & Gracie
Hi Guys,

Bare Laminate Table
When my mother passed away, she left me some very beautiful furniture. She also left me some furniture that I was not too crazy about. One of those pieces was a round, laminate occasional table. I knew I wanted to put it in the living room between the two windows, but I couldn't use it the way it was because it was just too  plain and ugly. I needed to come up with a way to make it beautiful. I had a couple options. I could paint it, or cover it. I chose the latter.
Table with White Tablecloth

I first used a sheer, square white tablecloth. I added a lamp that my son had made in school along with books, an orchid plant and a hand made dish filled with decorative rocks.

I also tried a navy blue, round tablecloth. I added a bowl of green apples and some crystal birds.

Table with Blue Tablecloth
Woodland Scene
I then decided to mix the two tablecloths and put the square, white tablecloth over the navy blue one. I added crystal trees, deer, and rabbits. I made a little woodland vignette.

I finally settled on the double tablecloths, books, dish, and orchid plant. I flanked the table with two very different chairs. One very formal chair and the other a very comfortable lounge chair. I hung an abstract picture in a black frame above the table. I love the look and it is a lovely place to sit and read or visit with friends.

That's my tip for today.

b
Final Version

No comments:

Post a Comment